This position is based in Chicago, IL or Washington, DC.
The primary purpose of this position is to serves as a liaison to federal and state government entities and third-party stakeholders including but not limited to legislatures, agencies think tanks, and associations. The manager develops and maintains positive relationships with a myriad of stakeholders to execute Adtalem’s government relations strategic plan; and promotes and protects policy solutions that align with business objectives by interacting with policy makers, building coalitions, and mobilizing grassroots advocacy within the context of Adtalem’s overall public policy and reputation management strategy.
· Develop a state government relations strategy including engagement with federal, state, and local government officials, government agencies, and third-party organizations.
· Manage relationships with Adtalem lobbyists and coordinate on implementing government relations strategy in key states and employing the tactics required to meet policy goals.
· Coordinate with Adtalem lobbyists on developing and executing a political contribution plan and participating in meetings with government officials and third-party stakeholders
· Track and analyze legislations and other policy proposals relevant to Adtalem and its subsidiaries.
· Identify and link disparate pieces of information for understanding and problem solving in a government affairs context, including political intelligence, substantive policy issues, and legislative and regulatory processes.
· Conduct research on policies to ensure that key stakeholders are notified of trends that may or may not negatively impact the company and helps develop tools to help communicate those policies to internal and external stakeholders.
· Work with, and liaison with, contract lobbyists to share the policy priorities of Adtalem and in some instances attend official meetings to advocate for those policies. Cover assigned legislative territory including stakeholder groups and report on those meetings.
· Ensure compliance with all state ethics and campaign finance reporting.
· Communicate effectively and continually with business leadership regarding ongoing legislative efforts, upcoming events, status of priorities, and other information which affects the company’s goals.
Assist with federal government relations and specifically with managing the Adtalem PAC Completes other duties as assigned.
Critical features of this job are described under Essential Duties and Responsibilities. They may be, however, subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Below are the minimum requirements of the education, experience, knowledge, and skills required to competently perform in this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree required; preferably in public administration, public policy, communications, political science, or a related field.
- Minimum of seven years related experience in government, government relations or public policy.
- Background in legislative research and grassroots advocacy.
- Understanding of political process and political advocacy techniques.
- Advanced ability to research and analyze policy and communicate findings
- Excellent communicator to a variety of audiences, including senior leaders – accomplished verbal, presentation and writing skills
- Advanced ability to research and analyze policy and communicate findings in a variety of formats to a number of audiences.
- Strong strategic thinking and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and as a team or coalition leader.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. Thank you for applying for this outstanding opportunity today.
The purpose of DeVry Education Group is to empower its students to achieve their educational and career goals. DeVry Education Group (NYSE: DV; member S&P MidCap 400 Index) is a global provider of educational services and the parent organization of American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, Becker Professional Education, Carrington College, Chamberlain College of Nursing, DeVry Brasil, DeVry University and its Keller Graduate School of Management, Ross University School of Medicine and Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine. These institutions offer a wide array of programs in healthcare, business, technology, accounting and finance.