The Corporate Paralegal is an integral part of the legal team, assisting members across the entire organization at its home office in Chicago, IL. This individual will be engaged with corporate governance and mergers and acquisitions support, SEC and NYSE reporting, domestic and international subsidiary maintenance, resolution drafting, intercompany agreements and general paralegal and administrative needs within the legal department of a global, publicly-traded education services company. The Paralegal will, from time to time, support other projects for the broader legal team. The ideal candidate will be experienced, highly organized, motivated, and able to work well both independently and as part of a team.
• Provide legal assistance to General Counsel, Senior Counsel - Corporate & Securities and other attorneys as necessary.
• Assist in preparation and filing of periodic SEC reports (e.g., 10-Qs, 10-Ks, 8-Ks, etc.).
• Prepare, process, and manage Section 16 filings for directors and officers.
• Prepare and file state, local and international filings (qualifications/annual reports) for the parent company and its subsidiaries.
• Assist with all aspects of corporate transactions including acquisitions, divestitures, financings, corporate partnering deals, leases, etc.
• Assist in the administration of the company’s equity incentive plans.
• Coordinate approvals and signatures of documents.
• Prepare, and/or assist in compiling board and committee materials and resolutions and coordinate approvals and signatures of documents.
• Maintain corporate and institutional minute books for the parent, its subsidiaries and governing bodies of its affiliated institutions.
• Respond to information requests from colleagues outside of the legal department; including research of legal matters and historical information from company records.
• Gather information from other departments regarding corporate entities, commercial transactions and litigation.
• Review documents and transmit information and documents to outside counsel and organization personnel with minimal guidance from supervising attorney.
• Maintain professional growth and professional affiliations to keep abreast of latest developments in college and university law and in other related areas.
• Support other organization-wide and cross-institution/functional initiatives and projects as assigned.
• Complete other duties as requested.
• Coordinate with various international firms and agencies to support our international operations, including working off hours, as needed, to interact with international partners.
• Proactively consider how decisions effect the legal department and others.
• Intuitive project management; verifying that appropriate groups are included in certain projects.
• Manage smaller transactions directly; going to appropriate levels for final approval, as needed.
• Support treasury function with creating new bank accounts; drafting, compiling and distributing required corporate documents as needed.
• Assist with litigation and licensing team requests as appropriate.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty with a high degree of independent thinking and professionalism. Below are the education, experience, knowledge, and skills required to competently perform the duties of this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Minimum of five years of paralegal experience in a corporate law capacity, including at least two years in an in-house legal department.
• Significant in-house experience with a global organization strongly preferred.
• Experience working in cross functional groups.
• Well organized and efficient; able to prioritize, multi-task and meet multiple deadlines promptly.
• Excellent attention to detail and ability to work under pressure.
• Flexibility and willingness to pitch in on unexpected projects.
• High degree of self-direction and motivation with good teamwork and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• High proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
• Administrative expertise with legal management systems (hQue, Compliance Suite, QDiligence, BoardVantage (or similar), Counsel Link).
• Additional experience in other areas of the law, such as employment, real estate or litigation are considered a plus.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. Thank you for applying for this outstanding opportunity today.
The purpose of Adtalem Global Education is to empower students to achieve their goals, find success, and make inspiring contributions to our global community. Adtalem Global Education Inc. (NYSE: ATGE; member S&P MidCap 400 Index) is a leading global education provider and the parent organization of Adtalem Educacional do Brasil, American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, Becker Professional Education, Carrington College, Chamberlain University, DeVry University and its Keller Graduate School of Management, Ross University School of Medicine and Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine. For more information, please visit adtalem.com.